Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Betty Friedan & Germaine Greer

Germaine Greer happily slags off Betty Friedan in yesterday’s G2 even though she’s just died. I’m with Germaine – you cannot be ‘a loyal member of the Republican party’ and a feminist. Betty Friedman was a few years too early for me. I have been a feminist since 1969.

My inspiration was Germaine Greer. I agree with CamillePaglia on this.

'The Female Eunuch' TOTALLY TRANSFORMED MY LIFE.

Who knows? Perhaps ignorance would have been bliss and I would have enjoyed a quiet life arranging flowers.

In the 80s I ran a General Studies course called ‘Surviving Sexism’. Most of the young women didn’t get it. All they wanted was an engagement ring and lots of dosh! In 2005, my brilliant A level Chemistry students just wanted to be Beyoncé or Britney.

Who am I to judge?

Germaine sometimes looks a bit daft these days but I still adore her.

KAZ

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too!

And i wonder how many of those (now ageing) General Studies students are still happily married? Not many, I'll bet.

1:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home