Sunday, February 12, 2006

Boltonians

So tell me …when did a Bolton accent become sexy?

I enjoyed listening to
Vernon Kay’s Brit music session on Sat morning as I was driving along. After Vernon was Sarah Cox another Boltonian. The lovely Stuart Maconie who reads out Kev’s daft e mails on radio 2 sounds similar. He’s from Leigh I think. Then there’s Peter Kay ... is it a common name in Bolton?

Now I don’t come from Bolton, I was born in the home of Peter Kay’s favourite radio station. My family either supported Wanderers or Rovers but never Preston North End!

I was OK on grammar, but I didn’t really know about ‘vowel sounds’ until I got to University. My roommate was from the deep South (Upminster wherever that is) and my landlady was exceedingly posh. They were much amused when I said things like ‘a thowsand pownds’. I just didn’t get the joke. Rob (ex husband from Barrow in Furness) once collapsed in hysterics when I asked the greengrocer for ‘a pownd of sprowts’.

Now you get good money for talking like that. So repeat after me:

Rowndabowt
Check this owt!
How Now Brown Cow (try it in Boltonspeak)


vernonkay.bbc.co.uk .. where co rimes with d’Oh

Keep practising and I’ll hear you on the Radio soon.

KAZ

5 Comments:

Blogger Betty said...

Yes, the Bolton accent is very "in" at the moment - perhaps it's considered appealing to listeners because it sounds "authentically" working class in a good way, unlike full-on Mancunian which just makes people think of someone who will nick their car (somebody does market research into all this nonsense). Anyway, count yourself lucky - I don't think I'll see the day when my flat, droning west midlands accent will ever be popular outside the boundaries of Stafford to Birmingham!

1:29 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Your day will come Betty
But do you want it to?
KAZ

1:38 pm  
Blogger beth said...

Stuart Maconie interviewing Simon Armitage would be my accent Dream Team!

9:36 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Beth
I feel ignorant now. Who is Simon Armitage? Please?
KAZ

10:14 am  
Blogger beth said...

Marsden bred poet, soft west yorks accent, regularly to be heard on Mark Radcliffe show.

Well worth googling - if I was clever enough to do that thing with links in comments I would do some - start with 'Shrove Tuesday'.

9:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home