Sunday, February 19, 2006

CLUTTER


Clutter, stuff, bits and pieces, odds and ends. Is there anyone who isn’t burdened by their ‘things’? Everyone needs more cupboards. New flats up my road advertise 'extra storage in the basement'. Old warehouses charge you silly prices so that you can keep it all locked away. Charity shops have notices saying ‘No more PLEASE’

Shirley, an old friend, came to see me on Friday. I told her that Jack had offered to call for her. No … she confided, my house is so chaotic and full of ‘things’.

7 years ago I moved from a large old house to a VERY small flat. This was to be nearer to my mum who was ill. I set about clearing the clutter because I had to.

I had been a car boot addict for years and developed a taste for kitsch especially flying ducks, Tretchikoff ladies, plastic fruit and Mickey mouses. The worst nightmare was the books – they had to go! As I looked through them I came across a small volume called ‘Clear out your Clutter’

The dilemma! Do I throw it away or keep it to tell me how to get rid of it? No answer to that.

Anyway – the point is - that this clear out was the best thing I ever did. I felt free and relaxed in my new white box on my new white sofa. I could lead a guilt free existence without all that stuff demanding my attention.

No, it didn’t last. But it was good whilst it did.

‘If in doubt chuck it out’

KAZ


4 Comments:

Blogger beth said...

I think you're right - stuff is a millstone.

I wish my mum had thrown her stuff away before I had to do it - but I should talk, I've got 20 years of diaries I'm scared to keep in case anything happens to me and scared to burn in case...well...in case it turns out I never existed..or something.

9:25 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Hi Beth - The one thing I regret burning is the diaries. What was I doing in 1983? I'll never know now.
KAZ

9:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1983... ah yes, the great lost year.... don't knoiw what I was doing that year either ;)

8:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the past I've bought more filing cabinets to house my every-increasing pile of clutter.

Now there's no more room for extra filing cabinets, so we're about to build more space. It's mad, isn't it?

I just know that the minute I throw somehting out, the next week I will have a reason for needing it.

10:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home