Tuesday, March 21, 2006

CARRY ON ALMA

We emerged from the pub on Saturday lunchtime fuelled by the exhilaration of Everton’s magnificent triumph
Everton 4 Aston Villa 1

To celebrate further, we visited the Cancer Research shop across the road where Kev showed interest in the video of ‘Carry on Cleo’ circa 1963.

I did not object to this purchase for 3 good reasons:

1: It was for Charity
2: It cost 50p
3: I remembered that Cleo was played by Amanda Barrie a.k.a. Alma from Coronation Street, born and raised in Ashton under Lyne.


It was a bit of a come down from being ‘Queen of the Nile’ to running the corner café, especially as she had to spend all day with Gail.
I can’t remember what it was called before Roy’s Rolls.

The credits roll telling us that the film is ‘based on an idea by William Shakespeare’.

The first line from the magnificent Kenneth Williams is predictably ‘Oh I do feel queer’. You have to wait for the famous ‘Infamy, Infamy, they’ve all got it in for me’! As mighty Caesar of the Roman Empire he could not be improved upon, even in ‘Life of Brian’.

‘Carry on Cleo’ is profoundly sexist of course but the blokes are so useless it doesn’t seem to matter. Sheila Hancock was there as Senna the wife of Mr Pod … a role she’d doubtless rather forget.
Alma has eyes like saucers. I’ve always adored her. Eileen and I once saw her all alone on the back seat of the Odeon on Oxford road.

Mercifully the film was Barbara Windsor free and I watched it right to the end.
I thought I hated ‘Carry on’ Films. Have they improved with age or have I done the opposite?
KAZ

9 Comments:

Blogger Betty said...

Well I've always had a soft spot for Carry On Screaming, which is also Babs Windsor-free.

Did you see the Kenneth Williams night on BBC4 last week? Quite good really, especially the play about his life (which I assume will be shown on BBC2 at some point).

8:33 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

No I missed it as usual but look forward to catching the repeat. I was well impressed by how dynamic he was on screen.
We once stayed in a French CAMP site at Carion! geddit?

9:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carry On films are a uniquely British institution, only us Brits can really 'get' them :D

I still laugh at the name 'Doctor Nookie' from Carry on Doctor :D

9:18 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Thanks:
I'm so glad It's not just me.

9:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet Shakespeare wished he's thought of the infamy line. A classic.

9:20 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Gosh Nic, I didn't know you were an intellectual!

12:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim's Cafe

7:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim was Alma's ex husband

Get me out of here!

7:54 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Hey thanks for the info Gert - just saw this. Of course it all comes back to me now! But did we ever see Jim?

2:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home