Tuesday, March 14, 2006

KAZ's BIG DAY OUT


I’m a bit of a pseud when it comes to ‘ART’. You know the sort of thing - open minded, visually aware, good eye. It helps if it’s big. At least that tells me that the artist showed commitment and must have shelled out quite a bit of dosh for the canvas and paint.

Anyway, last Thursday I saw this advert for a Saatchi exhibition at LEEDS ART Gallery. Only 3 days left, so I decided to pay it a visit.

Didn’t invite Barbara or Eileen. They’d say things like ‘I could do that’ and I’d say ‘So why didn’t you?’ etc.etc. Anyway Barbara’s broken her ankle and Eileen’s babysitting the grandchild.

So Kaz set off alone on her expedition by TRAIN.

I love the train especially the ride through the pennines and the Yorkshire towns which are stone not brick like ours.

The Art gallery was disappointingly small and the sculpture bit was closed so I only got to see one Henry Moore. Wonderful! Small breasts and massive hips brazenly reclining in the middle of the pre Raphaelites.
But the exhibition was a bit disappointing. Perhaps that’s why Saatchi sent it to Yorkshire. I traipsed round wishing I’d gone to the loo first.

The floor was strewn with schoolgirls. It reminded me why Kev likes being a supply teacher. They were sketching away purposefully with a pencil. Strange because most of the paintings were daubs, splashes and collage. Still it gave the teacher some time to herself.

One painting (above) really drew a total blank. It was sludgy green and very small (30cmX50cm) not much bigger than a sheet of A4. Apparently it is ... ‘an image of rafters rendered as contradiction, conveying a duplicity of illusion…. indifference and anxiety towards the subject are keynotes in the painting’.
Oh - I see - well actually I’m pretty indifferent too when it comes to rafters.

It was pouring with rain. I wandered aimlessly round the shops and bought a colourful stripey hat for £2 in New Look. I remembered they had a Wetherspoons on Leeds station so I called in for a glass of house Chardonnay and a prawn mayo on a poppy seed bloomer. The atmosphere was very lively for lunchtime, much shouting, smoking and drowning of pints. I sat reading the paper and taking it all in.

Sorry, but Leeds isn’t a patch on Manchester (apart from their PRIMARK which is quite classy) so I was home for four.
Enough excitement for one day now I’m a pensioner.
KAZ

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leeds isn't a patch on Manchester?
Oh dear, and we were getting on so well :-)

[As an ex-student waster at Leeds and a lifelong resident of Merseyside, I tend not to big up Manchester very often...:-)]

7:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leeds is sort of a wannabe Manchester!

8:26 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Ron; I value our friendship - so let's settle for Bolton
KAz
Gert: It's still got a long way to go before it gets there
KAZ

9:01 am  
Blogger Wyndham said...

There's some nice shopping to be had in Leeds - which is the kind of thing I like from a big city. Can't speak for Bolton, mind.

11:08 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Wyndham
Shopping? -count me in. Manchester's still better.
We'll let Vernon Kay speak for Bolton

2:10 pm  
Blogger Wyndham said...

Vernon Kay. Bolton. Say no more.

3:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home