Saturday, April 08, 2006

Mike Baldwin


I´m in Spain
I had to come away because I just couldn't bear to be around for Mike´s final decline. Thanks to Birdy I can keep in touch here.

Mike Baldwin and I go back a long way. I knew him when he was a young shaver who employed Vera and Ivy in the raincoat factory. That reminds me, Ivy died recently - in real life. Do you remember Ivy Tilsley? She´s the one who got sacked from the street when she turned up with Lesley Ash lips long before Lesley Ash had them.

Anyway, I read Mike´s reminiscences of his long career on the street. One thing rang true - he said ´We used to mess around on set, but there´s no time for any of that these days´.
I remember ´messing about´, we used to call it ´fun´ or ´havin a laff´´. It was the opposite of tense, stressed out or miserable.


My ex colleague Jack was a great prankster. Staff, students and bosses all enjoyed his antics. In 1995 there was a change of management and a year later he was sacked. He took his case to a tribunal where they used his ´pranks´in evidence against him. In many workplaces people are looking over their shoulders all the time. OFSTED is not renowned for its gsoh.

Mike entertained us well. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

KAZ

6 Comments:

Blogger SL said...

Me too.

Cornerstone of my childhood is Mike. And I always hated Ken, so anyone punching him was fine by me.

Also, Mike looks like my dad.

7:00 pm  
Blogger Betty said...

What you say about the modern workplace rings true. You always hear people saying "I really used to enjoy my job". Since when is making staff miserable, overworked and stressed out going to improve performance?

With reference to teachers, I can recall some of the, shall we say, "maverick" characters who taught me in the 1970's. I'm sure they wouldn't stand a chance of being employed as teachers nowadays, what with OFSTED and league tables.

9:28 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

sl - Do you remember that Mike´s dad was the ubiquitous Sam Kydd? So he´d be your grandad!

Betty: Perhaps I was one of the maverick teachers - oops - no not quite old enough. For the last 10 years we had to(almost)do it from a script.

11:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, Mike Baldwin.

I've not watched Corrie regulalry for years but he was always one of my favourites...as sl says, anyone who punded Ken Barlow couldn't be all bad.

3:41 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Nic - I´m trying to give it up. Without Mike it´ll be easier.

2:06 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home