Sunday, May 14, 2006

Cuckoo in the Nest

Don’t be deceived by the romantic call of the cuckoo. He is the most evil, pitiless, malevolent bird you could ever imagine. As well as being a bully and a thug, the cuckoo is bone-idle.

Cuckoos can’t be arsed to build their own nests or feed their own offspring. They simply lay their eggs in a nest made by a smaller bird e.g. meadow pipit. The meadow pipit looks after the eggs whilst the cuckoo goes off to enjoy life. The young cuckoos hatch and chuck out the meadow pipit chicks. Mum and Dad meadow pipit feed the ‘cuckoos in the nest’.

I’ve heard that the cuckoo is the only bird to have eyelashes. My mate Dave googled ‘cuckoos and eyelashes’ and all he got was the lyrics to the ‘Sound of Music’.

We saw lots of meadow pipits on the moors today. They were indulging in noisy foreplay and seemed carefree and flirtatious. They didn’t really look stupid. I thought of telling them about Jodie Marsh’s anti - bully campaign.

Unfortunately, you have missed this year’s Marsden festival, which welcomes the return of the cuckoo and spring. It boasts ‘artistic workshops, coffee morning, banner making, quiz, Morris dancing, maypole dancing, craft fair, cream teas and evening ceilidh. Superb family day out. NO DOGS’.


I don’t suppose they’ll get many meadow pipits either.
KAZ

4 Comments:

Blogger The Mistress said...

Yay! I'm first!

And people who Google ‘cuckoos and eyelashes’ will now get your blog as well the Sound of Music lyrics.

7:10 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Thanks for the thought MJ - That should just about double my visits.

7:36 am  
Blogger coolbuddha said...

I remember at school watching a TV programme which showed a baby cuckoo pushing chicks out of the nest. I'm still trumatised.

8:12 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

'Traumatised' is a good description. I'll do something cheerful for my next post.

8:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home