Monday, May 01, 2006

FLOWER POWER


We go looking for birds in Spain. Trouble is they tend to get up a lot earlier than we do. But the flowers were stunning (see above). Flora doesn’t move about as much as Fauna. This means you can take nice photos.

I’ve always loved wild flowers. Even as a kid I knew all the names. I found them in my British Observers’ book of British flowers of the British Isles.

Nature can mix all the colours red, blue, yellow, purple, orange and it looks perfect. Unlike some of those municipal displays in town squares and on roundabouts where someone tries to force shocking pink, orange, bright red and purple to look good. Does Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen design them?
I once signed up for an evening course on ‘flower identification’. He made us bring in flowers and then slice them up with a scalpel. I decided I’d stick to the old romantic names like celandine, bird’s - foot trefoil, germander speedwell, forget - me - not.
Anyway, I was enjoying the wild flowers so much I started thinking I’d do a blog about them.

Did that enhance or detract from the experience?

I can’t decide.
KAZ

4 Comments:

Blogger Betty said...

Oh yes, a definite thumbs up for wild flowers.

I tried to grow some wild flowers from seed over a few years and the only ones that have been successful have been feverfew, which seem to propogate everywhere if given the chance. They're supposed to have loads of medicinal uses.

I'm useless at identifying them though, in the same way that I can't identify a lot of the birdsong when I get out into the countryside. I think it's something you have to grow up with in the countryside from a early age to be good at.

7:37 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

I hadn't thought of it - but I bet you're right. I can't do bird song either but the old flower names are imprinted. I often refer to Kev as Ken, but I never forget a bladder campion!

10:18 pm  
Blogger coolbuddha said...

The Observer books were wonderful. Do the birds in Spain take a siesta?

8:16 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

I had the one for DOGS as well!
It seems all birds take a siesta - afternoon birdwatching is a waste of time. I don't know what they get up to.

8:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home