Monday, May 22, 2006

The NEW 40


George W Bush will be 60 on July 6th. I am sure you will put that in your diary and celebrate in a suitable way

I started this blog when I turned 60. It was a traumatic birthday as I always think of myself as a … well … a young(ish) person.

Here is a list of others who share my age and are probably feeling as I did.


Much admired and enjoyed: - Maureen Lipman - here

People I have wanted to be … or look like:
Debbie Harry, Bianca Jagger, Helen Mirren, Susan Sarandon, Charlotte Rampling, Diane Keaton

Heroes of Rock:
Eric Clapton, Richie Blackmore (saw him at the Manchester Apollo when I was old enough to know better), John McVie, Peter Green, Robin Trower, John Paul Jones (LED Zep), Van Morrison, Pete Townsend,

Should be 60, but didn’t make it (sob):
George Best, Bob Marley, Robin Cook, Farrokh Bulsara (Hg).

Should be 60, but didn’t make it (cheers):
Harold Shipman

Won’t be sending a birthday card:
Peter Sutcliffe

Nearly my twin:

Brian Ferry - would have been pleased - until I discovered he was a fox hunting class traitor.

Politician who won’t be celebrating his 60th birthday in August as Home Secretary:

Jack Straw

3 Stewarts:
Rod (having a ‘late surge’), Al (Year of the Cat) and Eric (He’s Not in Love)

Odds and sods:
Henry Winkler (Fonz),
Sue Lyon (Peter Sellers’s Lolita),
Victoria Principal (Bobby’s Pammy from Dallas)
Davy Jones (Monkees & early Corrie)
Justin Hayward (Betty’s friend)
Rainer Werner Fassbinder (just in case you think I’m not an intellectual.)
Jane Asher (got there before Linda and Heather M)

Plus: Cher, Alan Rickman, Donovan, Danny Glover, Sylvester Stallone, Dolly Parton, Joanna Lumley, Goldie Hawn.

Oh and I also discovered an actress who is just 60 with the interesting name of ‘Blair Brown’.

KAZ

8 Comments:

Blogger Betty said...

As, erm, Jimmie Saville tends to say, age is just a number at the end of your name (or something like that. He never normally makes much sense).

Anyway, a lot of it has to do with outlook, in which case you must be about 30 and I'm a grumpy 120!

By the way, be careful of what you say about Justin H*****, or like me you might start getting abusive e-mails from his slightly unhinged fans! You wouldn't think Moody Blues fans were like that, would you?

7:32 pm  
Blogger SL said...

Ah, Bestie...

Some great - and surprising - names in there. Stallone, for God's sake!

And you might be 60, Kaz, but I doubt very much you look or act like it.

Neither does my dad, and he's got 5 years on you!

8:13 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Sara: WOW to you too!

Betty: Moody Blues fans? - You mean both of them are unhinged?
I think you only pretend to be 120 years old ... in real life I bet you're a little ray of sunshine.
But I hope not!

8:19 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

sl:
Is your dad spoken for?

8:21 pm  
Blogger SL said...

Actually, no...

...but you are! Aren't you? ;o)

12:06 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Well there's the lovely Kev - but only on the rare occasions when he's sober.

9:07 am  
Blogger SL said...

Ah, looking for a fill in until the next sober episode, are you! ;o)

12:02 pm  
Blogger DellaB said...

Hi Kaz,

I started a whole website when I turned sixty last year... it's called turningsixty.com.au. I breezed through 40 but sixty came as a bit of a shock to me too... so I've been researching 'Is 60 the new 40?'...

What do you think?

7:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home