Monday, May 22, 2006

The NEW 40


George W Bush will be 60 on July 6th. I am sure you will put that in your diary and celebrate in a suitable way

I started this blog when I turned 60. It was a traumatic birthday as I always think of myself as a … well … a young(ish) person.

Here is a list of others who share my age and are probably feeling as I did.


Much admired and enjoyed: - Maureen Lipman - here

People I have wanted to be … or look like:
Debbie Harry, Bianca Jagger, Helen Mirren, Susan Sarandon, Charlotte Rampling, Diane Keaton

Heroes of Rock:
Eric Clapton, Richie Blackmore (saw him at the Manchester Apollo when I was old enough to know better), John McVie, Peter Green, Robin Trower, John Paul Jones (LED Zep), Van Morrison, Pete Townsend,

Should be 60, but didn’t make it (sob):
George Best, Bob Marley, Robin Cook, Farrokh Bulsara (Hg).

Should be 60, but didn’t make it (cheers):
Harold Shipman

Won’t be sending a birthday card:
Peter Sutcliffe

Nearly my twin:

Brian Ferry - would have been pleased - until I discovered he was a fox hunting class traitor.

Politician who won’t be celebrating his 60th birthday in August as Home Secretary:

Jack Straw

3 Stewarts:
Rod (having a ‘late surge’), Al (Year of the Cat) and Eric (He’s Not in Love)

Odds and sods:
Henry Winkler (Fonz),
Sue Lyon (Peter Sellers’s Lolita),
Victoria Principal (Bobby’s Pammy from Dallas)
Davy Jones (Monkees & early Corrie)
Justin Hayward (Betty’s friend)
Rainer Werner Fassbinder (just in case you think I’m not an intellectual.)
Jane Asher (got there before Linda and Heather M)

Plus: Cher, Alan Rickman, Donovan, Danny Glover, Sylvester Stallone, Dolly Parton, Joanna Lumley, Goldie Hawn.

Oh and I also discovered an actress who is just 60 with the interesting name of ‘Blair Brown’.

KAZ

9 Comments:

Blogger sara said...

Wow, you're 60!? that's incredible. You are doing an amazing job of keeping up with your true age. You are very lively and young at heart and it shows!

5:13 pm  
Blogger Betty said...

As, erm, Jimmie Saville tends to say, age is just a number at the end of your name (or something like that. He never normally makes much sense).

Anyway, a lot of it has to do with outlook, in which case you must be about 30 and I'm a grumpy 120!

By the way, be careful of what you say about Justin H*****, or like me you might start getting abusive e-mails from his slightly unhinged fans! You wouldn't think Moody Blues fans were like that, would you?

7:32 pm  
Blogger SL said...

Ah, Bestie...

Some great - and surprising - names in there. Stallone, for God's sake!

And you might be 60, Kaz, but I doubt very much you look or act like it.

Neither does my dad, and he's got 5 years on you!

8:13 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Sara: WOW to you too!

Betty: Moody Blues fans? - You mean both of them are unhinged?
I think you only pretend to be 120 years old ... in real life I bet you're a little ray of sunshine.
But I hope not!

8:19 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

sl:
Is your dad spoken for?

8:21 pm  
Blogger SL said...

Actually, no...

...but you are! Aren't you? ;o)

12:06 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Well there's the lovely Kev - but only on the rare occasions when he's sober.

9:07 am  
Blogger SL said...

Ah, looking for a fill in until the next sober episode, are you! ;o)

12:02 pm  
Blogger DellaB said...

Hi Kaz,

I started a whole website when I turned sixty last year... it's called turningsixty.com.au. I breezed through 40 but sixty came as a bit of a shock to me too... so I've been researching 'Is 60 the new 40?'...

What do you think?

7:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home