Friday, May 19, 2006

Oh No - not Heather Mills McCartney again!

Heather Mills McCartney and my dad had a total of two legs between them.

Heather lost a leg and gained Paul McCartney - 26 years her senior. My dad (Bert) lost a leg and gained my mum - 21 years his junior. She kept him exhausted and entertained for the rest of his life.

People liked Bert. We can’t say the same for Heather.

However, we should not let our misgivings about the (soon to be) ex Mrs McCartney, lead us to forget that she could have been right about a few things .

I was walking down Market St. yesterday and this rather tired looking lad thrust a leaflet into my hand. ‘Don’t buy this love’ he said. It was a picture of packet of Ariel and I’d just bought one that morning. It seems that Procter and Gamble are involved in massive animal testing programmes.

They are using animals to test cosmetics, washing powder and pet food. The list of their products is daunting - Fairy, Ariel, Lenor, Olay, Febreeze, Crest, Tampax, Duracell - even Pringles. I sent a miserly donation to ‘uncaged’ and will receive their bag which I will carry around. They also have a T shirt. I’ll try to avoid buying the products too but it won’t be easy.

The P&G website seems to suggest that they are using alternatives to animal testing - but suggest is the word - it doesn’t really commit to anything.

The best bit is that my very, very favourite model - Twiggy - is supporting this campaign. I used to long to look like her when I was short, fat and brunette. Now I’m short, thin and blonde - but 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.

KAZ

8 Comments:

Blogger The Mistress said...

Yay! I'm first!
After reading your posting I did a quick Google search to see what other companies are still involved in animal testing. Found a couple of companies that I didn't know were on the list. Thanks for the post.

11:37 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

And thanks to you MJ - I'm sure you are an endangered species.
We must look after you.

8:02 am  
Blogger The Mistress said...

Ha! Ta very much.
*shuffles back off to my natural habitat in Canada as KAZ waits with binoculars for another MJ siting*

2:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why most people seem to be so against young Heather... I've always rather liked her.

What timing for the Grauni to have her featured in the questionaire in their colour magazine (surely printed in advance) today, eh?

6:31 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

MJ: Hope it's soon!

NIC: I just finished reading that - she does say her husband is the greatest love of her life. Perhaps it's just another misprint.
The girl certainly has guts.

8:11 pm  
Blogger The Mistress said...

Just added you to my Blogroll.
*bloody high time, says KAZ*

8:26 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Thanks MJ.
I am honoured

8:09 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

The McCartney's are getting un-hitched? Wow..the things I don't hear about here in the colonies.

And now since reading your blog, I've got to give up pringles (which would be a good thing for my waistline) and Olay (which will leave me skinny and wrinkled. ::sigh::

10:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home