Friday, June 16, 2006

AUSSIE ASBO


So sexism is alive and well.

Have you seen those ads for Fathers day CDs that are on in the middle of Corrie?
There’s ‘Bez’s Madchester Anthems’ - with Morrisey, Blue Mondays, New Order and all the usual mancs. No Oasis though, I don’t think Liam and Noel liked their dad.

Then there’s ‘World’s Best Dad’ - 40 ultimate rock classics. Some of my faves there all right. Free, Rainbow (sorry) Bob Dylan, Patti Smith (yeah) Lou Reed. ‘Dad Rocks’ is even better with Bowie, Blondie and Buzzcocks … and Oasis as well.

All for the dads who are drinking beer in front of the World cup.

There’s no ‘Mum Rocks’.


So what does mum get? On mum’s day - there’s Liberace , Ronan Keating and Barry Manilow or the DVD of ‘Beaches’.

I used to spend hours looking for a witty card for my mum. They all wanted to thank her for changing my nappies and doing my ironing.

And speaking of Barry Manilow - Did you read about the town near Sydney where they are trying to get rid of rowdy youths from the local car park by playing Barry Manilow tracks over the loudspeakers. It’s an Aussie ASBO. They used Bing Crosby last year and it worked a treat.

What would get rid of me? Shania O’Twain, Daniel O’Donnell or Celine O’Dion.

10 Comments:

Blogger The Mistress said...

So you're not a Fanilow?

12:39 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

mj:-
I'm not a fanilow of Manilow.
But I believe 'Bing swings!

3:50 pm  
Blogger The Mistress said...

On behalf of Canada, I apologize for Celine Dion.

4:45 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

I blame the Swiss. Did you see her teeth in the Eurovision clip?

7:28 pm  
Blogger The Mistress said...

No. Do tell.

8:44 pm  
Blogger DellaB said...

Hi Kaz ... I can't help it, we have just gotten a new Rod Stewart DVD... it has been going round and round and round on the DVD for days...

I hope you do not mind, but I have taken the liberty of adding your blog to my blogroll at turningsixty.com.au/tsblog and posted a little quote to your site. Please let me know if you do mind.

Della

1:43 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

mj: In a word - DRACULA!
It may have been pre Eurovision.

Della: Good to have an Aussie around. Thanks for the link.
I loved Rod when he was Rod the Mod!

4:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't get me started.

Oh, I got started

http://www.madmusingsof.me.uk/archives/2006/03/mozart_marketin.php

6:35 pm  
Blogger lolly said...

I don't hate Manilow, nor do I hate Shania or Celine....having said that I wouldn't regularly listen to any of them either.

My musical taste is so diverse i can listen to pretty much anything - except rap.

9:29 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

gert
Mozart for Mums eh? I suppose it´s one better than ´Barry for mums´ with the gin.
But , as you say, it still makes the point. Mums are soppy and don´t have a separate existence outside their children.

Saffyre: But can you listen to crap?
I can put up with rap as long as it´s not coming through the wall from next door with the base turned up!

4:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home