Sunday, June 11, 2006

I am CURIOUS


One thing I miss about work is the gossip. Science staff and technicians are notorious for huddling round the fume cupboard for a furtive ciggy whilst spreading the scandal .

Professors at the University of Oklahoma have ‘proved’ that slagging others off makes you more friends. Be nice and be lonely.

So when does ‘interest’ or ‘curiosity’ become nosiness? It’s a fine line - but I like asking questions and I’m not dead yet.

I read in a novel recently (‘Flight of the Maidens’ by Jane Gardam) that Quakers don’t ask personal questions - even your name. They believe that if you want to tell you will. Eileen’s daughter aged 34 went for a smear test and discovered she was 5 months pregnant. The baby’s just had his 2nd birthday, but Eileen still hasn’t asked who the dad is. Oh and Eileen's certainly not a Quaker.

Neither is Kev - he knows the word blog and he knows I have one. But he doesn’t know where it is or what it’s called. He hasn’t ‘googled’ gorgeous, petite, birdwatching, ex chemistry teacher. Or even shortarsed opinionated pensioner.

I remember a strange film called ‘I am Curious - Yellow'
KAZ

7 Comments:

Blogger The Mistress said...

So would it be fair to say that when scientists gossip they're putting people "under the microscope?"

2:25 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

OOh That's a good one MJ. We chemists in particular have such 'acid' tongues.

4:37 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Le C: - I'm a virtuous non - smoker - just there for the gossip.
You are still alive and well as far as British A level Chemistry is concerned.
Congratulations on your immortality.

8:36 am  
Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

I know that you are far too young ever to have taught Chemistry to me, but I have a few niggling concerns. Please remove them by confirming that your real name is not "Hugh Morris".

9:31 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Now there's a question that I haven't been asked before.
'Hugh' isn't a common name for girls round here.
However, I have been called 'You' several times.

11:59 am  
Blogger lolly said...

Those professors must be a little odd. I never made any friends by being a bitch. Not that it stopped me being a bicth of course ;o)

11:56 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Saffyre
I always make sure to befriend a 'bitch' for obvious reasons!

3:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home