Friday, June 30, 2006

MATISSE


Forget FOOTBALL
Let’s talk about ART.

This is my favourite painting.

Henri Matisse is my favourite artist and this is my favourite Matisse.

It isn’t political and it hasn’t got a message or hidden meaning. It has colour and energy and I could sit and look at it forever.

I’ve been lucky enough to see it twice. First - in an exhibition in Cateau - the dark northern town in France where he was born. Secondly, at the Royal Academy last year. I travelled to London specially to see the ‘Matisse and Textiles’ exhibition.


In both cases it was a surprise - I hadn’t expected this painting to be there.


Matisse was the king of line and colour and he can do no wrong for me. The cut outs of his later years and the Fauve paintings of the early part of the last century are all inspirational.

The last Matisse exhibition I saw was in Runcorn. I saw it advertised in Stalybridge library.


Amazing eh?
KAZ



4 Comments:

Blogger The Mistress said...

So Thierry isn't the only Henry/Henri in your life then?

12:53 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Oh mj - Well spotted - You are so astute.

4:31 pm  
Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

Isn't the one in front wearing the Norwich strip?

2:04 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Philistine! - I thought you were 'gettin on dahn' in Kansas City.
Come to think of it - it does look a bit like Delia.

2:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home