Sunday, July 02, 2006

Back to the Future

I’ll get round to the footie - so bear with me ….
Early this morning we set off for Figueras (nearest town) to find a flea market, which was cancelled. So we went to ‘Dalicatessen’ (geddit) near the Museo Dali. They live and breathe Dali round these parts.


Catalan Marti is the owner and he was only too happy to josh about football. He then told us that it was the first day of the sales in town so we went to ‘Mango’ where I found a retail antidepressant i.e. 5 tops for less than 25€.

So - we all hate penalty shoot-outs. But my experience was worse than yours. WHY?
Yesterday (Saturday) afternoon we got back to the apartement and what did we see hanging from the balcony above us?

A huge Portuguese flag.

OK it was supposed to be a joke from a German *chum* .. But we all know that Germans have no sense of humour don’t we??

It had slowly dawned on me that Sexta (channel 6) is only permitted to show some matches by starting very late. The pay channels start on time. Kev couldn’t cope with this, so he went to bar Carmen on the corner. I sat alone and anxious and waited for it to start. Kev rang to say it was nil nil. So I said ‘either come ‘home’ or stay out’. After another call he decided to stay out. So - there I was alone for the entire match and 45 minutes behind the rest of the world.

When you knew the outcome I was doing my old aerobic routines to discharge the tension during the penalty shoot out. I was also shocking myself with the language I used when shouting abuse at players whose names ended in ‘ard’.

By the end it was nearly 9pm (Spanish time).

I felt like an elderly Billie Piper - a sad and solitary little time traveller.

Kev came home at midnight, sat down and fell asleep i.e. passed out.

When we got back from Figueras today - the Portuguese flag was still there. Very amusing - how I laughed.

Reasons to be cheerful: Thierry’s goal and Le Tour has started.
KAZ (Le plus jeune Pensionnaire.)

6 Comments:

Blogger The Quacks of Life said...

So the Youngest Pensioner will be cheering on Italy on Tuesday and France next weekend?

Zidane was class.

7:59 am  
Blogger Betty said...

Oh God, I least I wasn't the only one doing exercise routines because of tension during the match. What a tortuous experience that was. You think we could get used to it as it happens every four years with the penalties ... the penalties!

Anyway, France winning was a bit of a consolation. If they win the tournament maybe they'll show Thierry soaped down in the shower in the aftermatch celebration ...

... (I'm feeling better already) ...

9:00 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Pete: Oui C'est vrai! It's Thierry and Zidane pour moi now. Wish I could stop typing corny French phrases.
B
etty: Funny how we Brits can look on the bright side.
But when you think of Rooney or Crouch in the shower it's not too difficile . Whoops there I go again.

11:09 am  
Blogger Geoff said...

My favourites first, it's France, Italy, Germany, Portugal.

I don't think I can bear to see Christiano Ronaldo smile ever again.

1:41 pm  
Blogger The Mistress said...

I feel your pain despite being a Canuck.

*Cringes at thought of Roo and Crouch in the showers but perks up at image of Thierry in same. Now picturing the Azzurri getting frisky in the showers. Turn the cold water on me.*

3:36 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

geoff: France and Italy -yeah!
But I can't support Germany ever. So I'll make a doll of Ronaldo and stick pins in it. I'll then be able to shout for Portugal if necessary.
We may have to get used to supporting big Phil's team.

Sorry Betty for chopping your head off - above

mj: Thanks for the empathy.
Hey - red blooded female footie fans have lots to look forward to.

5:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home