Thursday, July 13, 2006

BLONDE or BRUNETTE?


I hear that Scarlett (or is it Charlize?) has gone non - blonde and Britney is now a brunette. They aren’t the first. Madonna did it a couple of times and even Paula Yates went dark for about 5 minutes

It is said that they do it for artistic credibility or intellectual recognition. NO WAY! They do it to get another photo in Heat, Now, Closer or Woman’s Weekly. Another reason for the colour change is that bleach strips the life out of your hair whereas darker dyes actually ‘coat’ it and improve the condition. Lesley, who used to be a hairdresser, told me this. ‘Educating Rita’ could have been based on her life.

I was born brunette and have never wished to be blonde or anything else.
But, a couple of years ago, I couldn’t keep up with the roots - so I had blonde ‘highlights’. Everyone was ecstatic about my new look.

Strangers are noticeably nicer to me now. My mates have copied the style and thanked ME.

So do you prefer blondes or brunettes? It isn’t a male/female divide. Lesley admires blondes, Eileen and I prefer brunettes.

I’m talking about real ravishing brunettes like Audrey Hepburn, Natalie Wood and Amanda Barrie. The best brunettes set the screen on fire like Liz Taylor in ‘Cat on a Hot Tin Roof’. Vivien Leigh, Jean Simmonds and Sophia Loren will be smouldering on the small screen for ever and ever.

Now we have Haille Berry, Natalie Imbruglia, Juliette Binoche, Audrey Tatou, Thandie Newton and Marisa Tomei.

Do you remember Corrie’s Karen McDonald? She couldn’t have terrorised and captivated Steve if she’d had blonde hair.

I was going to add a list of (non smouldering) blondes, but I’ll leave it to you.

KAZ

7 Comments:

Blogger Anxious said...

As a "smouldering brunette" myself, I admire brunettes, particularly those who stay brunette - there are so many who bleach their beautiful locks these days!

I'd like to try being blond for a day, to see what difference it would make to the way I'm treated.

9:52 am  
Blogger Betty said...

Decided to give being blonde a try for a few years as the brown hair started to go grey. I was told it suited me better, and I got wolfwhistled for the first time in years, which was strange, and a bit of an ego boost, I must admit. The problem is, I have to use lots of hair products having "difficult" hair and most of them turn blonde hair brassy and gingery. So I've now opted for light brown hair ... don't know if it'll stay that way though. I certainly don't "smoulder" either way (...unless I leave the colourant on too long, heh heh).

12:47 pm  
Blogger Geoff said...

Betty's got lovely hair really.

There are a few famous blondes I like but easily outnumbered by the brunettes. Then again there are a lot more brunettes than blondes in the world as a whole.

I'll just shut up now.

1:48 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Hi Anxious: I’ve noticed that the Spanish women ruin their gorgeous black hair from an early age by over bleaching - think Shakira and Christina.
I’ll just go and put you back on the blogroll!

Betty: The gift of smouldering is given to very few. The rest of us must be content to simmer hopefully.

Geoff: I hope Betty returns to read your nice comments about her hair.
I bet you’re the strong silent type who is too shy to say it to her face.

5:18 pm  
Blogger The Mistress said...

My former bleached blonde look was the most popular by far but the upkeep was too expensive and time-consuming and it dries out your hair. (Debbie Harry is living proof. Her hair fell out from over-processing) I've also tried orange-red, black, and a number of shades in-between. I'm back to my natural nondescript brown hue now. Boring yet practical.

I just don't want to see brunette men dye their hair blonde.

2:24 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

If anybody calls your hair nondescript or boring - just let me know and I'll deal with them. OK!!

8:49 pm  
Blogger The Mistress said...

So far I'm the only one doing the self-name-calling but good to know I've Kaz on my side!

3:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home