Friday, July 28, 2006

BOG STANDARD

Last visit to France yesterday. It’s only a short drive up t’road and yet - as soon as you cross the border - you know it’s totally different from Spain.

How can you tell that you are in France? There’s the neat little villages with ‘over the top’ municipal flowers and the sexy language which involves moving your mouth into seductive pouts even if you are a disgustingly ancient pig farmer.

You find pavement cafes with indifferent service where rare and possibly extinct tracks by Peter Tosh or John Lee Hooker are playing. Then there’s the boulangerie where you buy a baguette that’s stale before you get it home and the person who serves you says ‘Au revoir m’d’m’m’sieu’ as though she’s talking to a two headed person.

You could weep when you see the slim women in tight coordinated outfits and the blokes with dark glasses and crumpled jackets looking so stylish and desirable.

But the picture above sums up what it really means to be French. After lunch in a rather posh restaurant in Amelie les Bains I sought out the ‘ladies’. That’s where I took the photo.

You would not see this nostalgic sight in Spain with their perfect ceramics and faultless instal.lacions (Catalan for installations).

French women, high heels, tight skirts …strong bladders.

KAZ

8 Comments:

Blogger Geoff said...

Is that a toothbrush in the corner?

8:27 am  
Blogger Anxious said...

Reminds me of my first (school) trip to France. We made a toilet stop at some roadside "conveniences".

Picture the scene:

Troop of East London kids file into toilet block.

Two seconds later, troop of East London kids file back out again, looks of horror on their faces

"I ain't goin' in there, man! It's a hole in the floor!"

11:34 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Geoff: Ugh!
Anx: Standards must be maintained.

4:35 pm  
Blogger Betty said...

I suppose it makes good business sense - no one wants to use the toilet, so you don't have to get the them cleaned so often ...

10:04 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

That bog brush looks very clean.

8:46 am  
Blogger coolbuddha said...

Do my eyes deceive me - that's a foot spa!

7:30 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Bloody 'ell - I'm really embarrassed now. You'll never guess what I did in there.

7:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've found these in various places abroad. they are not designed for women wearing trousers. Otherwise, they strike me as far more hygenic than the sort we have in Blighty. And I'm sure the hosepipe to clean one's arse has to be more hugenic than bogroll. Although I don't think they go in for hosepipes in French loos, in general

4:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home