Sunday, July 16, 2006

Stick in the MUD

I visited Spinsterella yesterday. Afterwards I felt a bit jealous and rather sad.
Why? Because she was off to a Festival in Suffolk.
I don’t think I’ll be going to a Festival soon .... or ever again for that matter. I read recently that The Roskilde Festival near Copenhagen is free to over 60s on Sunday. I’d like to see Morrisey, Arctic Monkeys and Dylan, but I can’t be arsed to go to Denmark or even Stockport for that matter.

And who wants to go to a Festival with a load of pensioners anyway?

So when did I go to my last festival? I think it was Led Zep at Knebworth, unless you count the camping trip to Italy to visit the Opera festivals or a few gigs at Platt Fields.

It’s making me feel a bit past it. I get around a lot but I’m usually home for teatime, and on most evenings a bottle of cold Sauvignon seems more attractive than the pub.

I guess I’ve become a bit unadventurous - I do not ‘boldly go’ or ‘Touch the Void’. I am not intrepid or venturesome. It used to be ‘have tent will travel’. Now it’s the same apartment in Spain every time.

Spinsterella entertains us by discussing her singleton status. I know having a partner/ lover/husband/ boyfriend can be great when it works out. But it’s recognized that single women are fitter and slimmer as well as more enterprising.

Kathryn Whitehorn wrote about suddenly being single after a long marriage. She said ‘I’ve got loads of friends to do something with - but no one to do nothing with.’

That’s part of the problem - I’m doing nothing!

Someone get me out of this rut!
KAZ

14 Comments:

Blogger The Mistress said...

The Who is set for a world tour.

2:50 am  
Blogger SL said...

What's wrong with Stockport?

9:30 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

mj: WHO - great band. Excellent at Live8.
But perhaps they should follow their own advice and quit before they ‘get old’

Sl: That’s a tough one! Erm .. well… (decides on restraint) it’s great!

11:39 am  
Blogger SL said...

Ha ha! Nah, it's a dump. :o)

11:47 am  
Blogger Betty said...

I used to see a lot of live bands - often on a weekly basis or more - until I "retired" in my early 30's. All that standing around waiting for the band to come on, the smokey atmosphere, the grubbiness of the venues, most of the time the band was underwhelming. I'm glad I put it all behind me. Festivals never appealed and, having seen the film about Glastonbury at the weekend, they appeal even less. Two words to consider if you want to attend a festival: The Toilets.

12:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Betty on this one. I did Live8 but it was safe (and free) and nearby. It's a while since I've done a (free) Mayday Festival but when I did they were great - home by teatime. They were held in very urban spaces so it wasn'tdifficult to get to transport or a proper loo.

We went to see Bryn Terfel on Saturday open air at Kenwood on Hampstead Heath. That was good because Marks and Sparks had a couple of stalls selling picnic food and the loos were plumbed in. Bit far from transport, though.

It might be my new criterion of deciding whether or not to go to an outdoor concert - the presence or otherwise of Markles.

3:49 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

sl: So you won't be celebrating the Big Day in Stockport I take it.

Thanks Betty: I feel a bit better now.
I was probably in my early 30s when I went to Led Zep.

Gert:The best thing ever was sitting on a campsite drinking red wine and listening to Madama Butterfly on the nearby stage. We paid our money on the following night but it wasn't as magic.
Still nowadays I'd probably be moaning about mosquitos,toilets and lack of M&S.

6:12 pm  
Blogger tom909 said...

KAZ, Love your blog - I'm here because you said you look like Jordan but with bigger tits. Was that no more than a cunning ploy to attract male bloggers?

8:53 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Hi Tom: YES! And it's worked.
I'm really 5 ft tall with cup size 32AA.

10:42 am  
Blogger stitchwort said...

I remember Bob Dylan at Blackbushe many, many years ago; it was the first time I inhaled the smoke of cannabis - and that was just in my garden 2 miles away!

1:39 pm  
Blogger Spinsterella said...

"But it’s recognized that single women are fitter and slimmer as well as more enterprising"

I like the sound of that.

Anyhow, festivals are great, and full of people who are a little bit, er, older.

(not Reading though, Reading is full of obnoxious teenagers.)

And the toilets aren't that bad!

Becasue I don't have a boyfriend (or a gang of indie-rock friends nearby) I don't get to see much live music. So one of the main things I love about festivals is the opportunity to see a LOT of bands.

3:55 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Stitchwort: So you got Bob Dylan for free and didn't have to be 60! Terrific.

Spinsterella: The info is reliable: Trust me, I'm a scientist.
Hope you enjoyed Suffolk

8:56 pm  
Blogger DellaB said...

We went to an Eagles concert last year. We were not the only 'pensioners' there - and some of them were up on the stage!

Love those hot old rockers - I am in love with David Gilmour.

5:10 am  
Blogger DellaB said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home