Thursday, September 07, 2006

CENTRE of EVIL


Tony Wilson has never been very popular in Manchester. You know what they say ‘He’s too arrogant / Big fish in a little pond / Who does he think he is? Etc.

I’ve always liked him - but it’s no surprise to see he’s in trouble again.

According to the Tameside Advertiser - stop me if you’ve already read it - during a recent conversation on Radio Manchester with local cartoonist Tony Husband, the town of Hyde was referred to as the ‘centre of evil’.

Hyde will unfortunately always be associated with Harold Shipman, Myra Hindley and Ian Brady. None of these serial killers is originally from Hyde. Shipman was born in Nottingham and the other two are Mancunians.

Brady was born in Aked Street in Ardwick just next to the school where I started my teaching career. A visit to Saddleworth moor still makes the flesh creep.

I spend a lot of time in Tameside near Ashton under Lyne, Stalybridge and Hyde. The countryside is stunning and the people are absolutely great.

One day I was looking at Carlos’s fabulous Barcelona blog and noticed to my amazement a link to ‘Hyde daily photos’. There I found Gerald who does a great job for Hyde.

He dealt with Shipman (who killed at least 215 people) here and here.

Another famous serial killer Richard Hillman met a sticky end in Ashton under Lyne’s Portland basin.

Coro-1
KAZ

11 Comments:

Blogger The Mistress said...

Still wishing Richard Hillman had taken Gail down with him.

1:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm never sure where it's going to end up here... which is nice.

4:17 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

mj: YOU and me BOTH.
When we row, Kev's worst insult is 'You sound like Bloody Gail!'

Nic: erm - Where what's going to end up where? Nice.

8:28 pm  
Blogger The Mistress said...

That's grounds for divorce.

11:54 pm  
Blogger Betty said...

As someone once said to me, Tony Wilson may be a complete twat, but he used up most of his life savings to finance Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures, so he has to be let off the hook.

Anyway, I think he is morphing into Germaine Greer (or she's morphing into him) - the tendency to wear a lot of grey, the way they peer disapprovingly over their half moon spectacles, the dishevelled grey hair. You never see them together in the same place, either.

9:07 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

mj: I'll phone my solicitor and get my share of Kev's millions.

Betty: Exactly - the man can't be all bad.
I think they both want to look like interlekshuals.

9:30 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

mj: OOps just remembered (about 3 hours later) that I'm not married to Kev. So no millions for me.

11:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No idea... that was days ago I wrote that. You expect me to remember? ;)

8:34 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

nic: YES, I do expect you to remember. You are a virile young man and must keep 'on top' of things..

9:34 am  
Blogger Gerald (SK14) said...

Thanks for the links.

My main page of info about Shipman is actually at http://www.geraldengland.co.uk/gx/shipman.htm

11:15 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Thanks for this Gerald. I visit your site nearly every day now.
I intend to do another post about Shipman and will use this link it that's OK.

4:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home