Saturday, September 09, 2006

Eileen, Pedro & Penelope

My mate Eileen (recently abandoned by long term toy boy Mike) is doing well. We met on Wed to eat and go to the cinema - as idlers do.

She didn’t fancy subtitles so we saw ‘You me and Dupree’ instead of ‘Volver’.

I thought this would be OK for 2 reasons:

1) Faced with the same choice Marina Hyde had done the same thing (footnote to Tuesday’s G2 column)
2) Matt Dillon was in ‘Dupree’ and he was great in ‘Crash’


BAD CALL!
It was totally unfunny, all the problems were sorted out in the end by Michael Douglas saying ‘Sorry’ and it wasted 108 minutes of my life. Matt was born in 1964 so my sums make him 42 - much too old to play a gullible newly wed.

So, the next day I sneaked back to see ‘Volver’. I rarely go to the cinema alone. I’m worried that someone might see me and think I’m a saddo. Come to think of it I’m more of a saddo for worrying about it. At the 2.30 showing the audience consisted of a fat girl eating popcorn and me. Would they still show the film if we hadn’t turned up?

‘Volver’ was great. Penelope Cruz is gorgeous, sexy and a very convincing actress. If I were a bloke/lesbian she would be top of my list. She reminds me of a young Sophia Loren enhanced with a bit of Natalie Wood.

Pedro Almodovar’s interiors are high Kitsch. He combines turquoise, red and bright orange and adds bright poppies, fairy lights and Tretchikoff style paintings. His films hit all the senses at once. The plot was good too.


vandersyde

This ‘Tretchikoff style’ portrait (which is one of my secret collection) looks a bit like Penelope in the role
KAZ

I just read that Almodovar made Cruz wear a “false ass” (arse to us) to make her character, Raimunda, resemble an Italian film heroine of the 1950s. Spot on with Sophia then.

13 Comments:

Blogger Anxious said...

Oh, I really want to see Volver. It'll be nice to see Cruz acting in her mother tongue - I don't know why, but that matters to me.

8:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A false arse?

Shocked and stunned...

1:44 pm  
Blogger Geoff said...

"It was totally unfunny, all the problems were sorted out in the end by Michael Douglas saying ‘Sorry’ and it wasted 108 minutes of my life."

Sounds like Catherine Zeta Jones' description of her wedding night.

Penelope is pretty delicious. So glad she didn't give Tom his first born.

I'm not sure about Almodovar. I always leave his films with a feeling of emptiness. Love his use of colour though.

2:56 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Anx: The Americans obviously didn't 'get' Penelope - she's a sexy girl!

Nic: Odd isn't it? Most people complain because their bums look too big.

Geoff: Nice one Geoff - how absolutely Spot on .
I suppose our Cath is watching the Mills McCartney story quite closely.

I read that Penelope and Tom are homophonic - it took me a minute.

Almodovar films certainly zap the eyeball.

4:34 pm  
Blogger SL said...

Going to the cinema on your own is a very cool thing to do. Very cool indeed. OK?!

4:44 pm  
Blogger Gareth said...

Nowt sad about going to the cinema alone, I did last week to see this very film. I never understand why people need to go wuith someone especially on a date. After all you are not going to talk with the other person are you.

5:01 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

sl: Very cool indeed eh? Well OK. I believe you to be such an exceptionally cool dude that I'll believe you.
Good result yesterday eh?
Poooor old Liverpool.

Gareth: So good to be reassured, I love going alone - but I always check over my shoulder just in case there's someone I know.

5:59 pm  
Blogger Lubin said...

Going to the cinema on your own is fab. I used to do it a lot - or sometimes I'd go to a film with a friend and we'd wind up in different auditoriums. You don't always need friends along to enjoy yourself. I wasn't going to go and see Volver, but you have swayed me with your tantalising Tretchikoff pictures.

7:33 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Lubin - Hope you like it.

8:28 pm  
Blogger SL said...

Fantastic result. Congratulations. I loved it. For obvious reasons. :o)

10:28 pm  
Blogger lolly said...

I can't bring myself to go to the cinema alone. Scared of being called a saddo.

12:58 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Saffyre: Come with me - I'll buy you an ice cream.

4:44 pm  
Anonymous Kelly said...

The design of the fork lift work platforms available from many companies is intended to be as user friendly as possible, and with this in mind, care has been taken to ensure that no matter what available space you have. Forklift operator is one of the jobs where you just can't have zero open job spots. There are times in the warehouse and freight industries when the workload suddenly increases exponentially. Notice that these are often the same people that made the brand name parts. Once the training is completed, the participants will receive the certificate and they can start to operate the forklift.

11:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home