Friday, September 22, 2006

R.I.P.


You probably read the obit for King Taufa’ahau Tupou IV of Tonga in Wednesday’s Grauniad. It was only 10 days late.

You must be wondering what Tonga is for. Why does Tonga exist other than to provide smiling obese citizens to make us feel fit and slim?

Well - the raison d’etre of Tonga is to send over vivacious, entertaining Royal Persons to liven up our Royal weddings and funerals. Taufa’ahau’s mum (Queen Salote) was the out and out superstar of our Coronation in 1953.

But what about her son? Well here is a well kept secret which I am about to share with my four loyal readers. The late(ish) King was invited over for the wedding of Charles and Di in 1981. Although he made it to the ceremony, he skived off during much of the previous programme of events and came up to Greenfield in Greater Manchester to have a look at Dovestones reservoir.

He wasn’t interesting in the birdwatching or sailing. The engineering skills were what attracted him. He wanted a reservoir of his own to take back to Tonga.
There is a stone dedicated to him which everyone walks straight past. I read about it in a second hand book of walks and still had a struggle to find it.

So there you go! Don’t say I never tell you anything!

That’s me on the right.
KAZ

7 Comments:

Blogger Geoff said...

Can we swap Royals with Tonga?

4:38 pm  
Blogger SL said...

Nice glove...

6:08 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

geoff: NO - but we can ask Her majesty and Charles to wear a garland of flowers, a grass skirt and make them smile and shake their hips around a bit.
Well perhaps not!

sl: genuine 100% leather. My best. You can see the snow on the ground

10:36 pm  
Blogger stitchwort said...

Wonder if the Tongans got their reservoir - can't find anything on Google.
(And may I say how fit and slim you're looking:-))

8:42 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Stitchwort: Apparently he always got his own way.
I think I look particularly slim on that photo - a good likeness.

8:53 am  
Blogger Rog said...

I agree Nice Glove.

Did you have a hand in it?

I'm wondering which stone was laid by the King of Tonga. My money would be on Keith Richards.

5:53 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Murph: I hope Keith was on top - That King is a very big chap!

7:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home