Saturday, October 21, 2006

DYING YOUNG


Another thought from the ‘Queen’ movie.

They were very sensible to let Diana play herself by the use of old news film. She was certainly the most photogenic woman imaginable.

If you are making a life plan you may like to consider dying young.

Dying young is an excellent move. Even if you were universally disliked - the mourners at your funeral will shed a tear. The fact that they hated you will pale into insignificance compared to the sadness of your untimely demise.

It’s better to be beautiful like Diana, Marilyn or James Dean - your image will be immortalised and idolised.

The members of the 27 club were Rock musicians who died aged 27. Jimi, Kurt Kobain Janis and Jim Morrison are the main members but the full list is long. Would they really have chosen to end up like Keith, Mick or Cliff? There’s also a weirdo theory about it - related to Uranus - well probably not yours.

So who should have opted for an early death? Several persons spring instantly to mind - you probably have your own suggestions.

liza
Liza Minnelli used to be beautiful and superbly talented. She could never improve on ‘Cabaret’. Her first appearance was in a wonderful little film with Albert Finney (so glad he didn’t die young*) called ‘Charlie Bubbles’. It had scenes in Manchester.
But now Liza is a bad joke - mainly because of her marriage to the ludicrous David Gest. She’s not even an interesting disaster area like her well loved mother.

Cilla was never a beauty, but she had a great figure, some fab clothes and had a talent for murdering Dionne Warwick songs rather humanely. Now she looks like a geriatric hamster. What was she thinking at that Royal Variety performance?

And not to forget:


Or perhaps he should have been drowned at birth along with:

janice2004

Do you agree?


KAZ

*In addition to Albert, I’m so glad this lot are still alive and kicking - Alan Bennett, Tony Benn, Helen Mirren, Nancy Banks Smith, Ray Davies and Betty Driver.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony Benn seems to get more wonderful as time goes by.

I would add Paul Newman to that list.

But I'm completely with Fern Britton on McCartney: we're feeling forced to take sides and I don't want to take sides. Suffice to say that Sir Macca has been expelled from my pantheon of heroes.

6:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you can't have Helen Mirren w/o Dame Judy and Dame Maggie

6:56 pm  
Blogger Rog said...

Twiggy's done quite well.

I'm all for Mr Edmonds being drowned by his first Christmas (The first Noel).

I think I'd rather be Mick Jagger than Brian Jones though... he was a miserable sod.

Who is the last picture? Is it Betty Driver, wife of Geoff of Mild Peril Fame?

7:02 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Geriatric hamster *snort*

Very sad to hear that Keiko, actor and killer whale, is also a member of the tragically cool (or coolly tragic?) 27 club. I know a few ladies round our way who will certainly mourn the loss of Free Willy

8:19 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Hi Gert: Agree, agree, agree!
But (thiough Maggie and Judy are great) Helen Mirren is in a class by herself .
You can’t take your eyes off her when she’s on the screen. Every twitch of a wrinkle speaks volumes.

Murph: Much preferred her as a Twiglet - but she’s so nice, I want her to live to a ripe old age.

I suspect that you don’t watch Corrie. I don’t think Geoff’s Betty works in the Rovers.

You’d probably get on well with Schmeichel.

Gary: I'm quite relieved that I'm safely past 27.
Re Keiko - all I can say is *ouch*!

8:37 pm  
Blogger Geoff said...

Just watching Marc Bolan (died aged 29) and Cilla singing Life's A Gas on an old TOTP2.

If George W Bush had died in a car crash in his alcoholic years and Marc had survived...

Life's not really a gas is it?

9:03 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Geoff: I’ve seen that clip before. I think Cilla may have been responsible for Marc's untimely death?

It depends what gas you mean?

Maybe Carbon Monoxide?

9:59 pm  
Blogger Betty said...

I should point out that I'm not evil hobgoblin Janice Battersby or Betty Driver.

Neither of them have a beard, so they can't be me.

1:56 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Betty: Well that's sorted that out.
So now we know why you don't have an avatar.
(Don't blame Murph - he's only a dog!)

5:30 pm  
Blogger Heather said...

Helen Mirren looks amazing, did you see her last night?

Who is the last one? sorry to sound stupid.

7:38 pm  
Blogger stitchwort said...

Thought it was me, not knowing who this is, but not wanting to look ignorant.
I've led a sheltered life, you know.

8:12 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Heather: Helen's wonderful.
The pic of Janice Battersby (ex TV wife of Les') is very flattering.
You are obviously not a Coronation Street fan...you must be an intellectual, or better still, have an interesting life.

Stitchwort: See above.
Corrie is my only soap. I saw the first episode, but I hurry to say that I haven't seen all those in between.
The presence of Janice is testing my loyalty to the limit.

11:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd add Judi Dench to the list of glad still alives.

And I agree that Tony Benn is great as an ageing man. Which is more than I thought of his younger years!

7:32 pm  
Blogger Glenda Young said...

If you're still glad Betty Driver is still alive, you might like to have a look at www.corrieblog.tv
and all who sails in her.

11:38 am  
Blogger Lubin said...

I can't deal with Janice Battersby either. Her face is so red, her voice so full of spite and hate. When she left a few months ago, I celebrated, thinking it was forever. But like the proverbial bad penny, she was back. Let's get up a petition...

11:45 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

BW: I've always loved Tony Benn.
Wouldn't it be good if everyone improved with age?

Welcome Norah: I think Betty deserves a post all to herself - I'll work on it.
Thanks for the ref.

Lubin: The awful Janice would be successful in one of those 'gurning' competitions. Ugh!

3:54 pm  
Blogger The Editor said...

Re Dying young, you've only got to think of Thin Elvis V. Fat Elvis. For many of us the Fat Elvis years are all we have to look forward to.

1:07 am  
Blogger The Editor said...

re Tony Benn, he's a sincere chap but has surely been living on another planet most of his life. Where the down trodden workers write poetry in their spare time.

1:13 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

I loved Elvis as a young man (Jailhouse Rock etc.) and hated what he became. I don't agree with your pessimistic view of a non youthful future.
Fat isn't compulsory - neither is wearing white suits with rhinestones.
Tony Benn : My Hero - I will hear no word of criticism. Also David Bowie and Helen Mirren are immune.

6:26 pm  
Blogger Boz said...

Hurrah for Nancy Banks Smith!

If Noel had passed away as wee lad, we would all have been spared his 'crazy' House Party shenanigans and... shudder... Mr Blobby.

Still. It's easy to be scornful in restrospect, eh? Who knows what else might have happened.

7:17 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

You mean Bruce Forsyth could have presented 'Deal or no deal' Ugh!

8:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MR BLOBBY IS LEGEND


he never ages, does he?
timeless.

12:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home