Thursday, October 12, 2006

National Treasures

290px-Alan_Bennett
Eileen and I went to see the Queen last week. No - not that Queen - Helen Mirren is so much of an improvement on the genuine article. I can’t wait for the latest and last ‘Prime Suspect’ on Sunday. There are so many good role models for women of my age.

Speaking of ‘my age’ I unfortunately had another birthday recently and someone bought me Alan Bennett’s ‘Untold Stories’. It's a sort of autobiography, but inspired by one of those ‘annuals’ we used to read when we were kids. There’s a bit of his life, some stuff from his diaries and writings about his plays, art and acting.

It reminded me of the day I swanned home wearing my black stockings*, mini, white lipstick and false eyelashes and followed by some spotty youth. My lovely uncle Harold was waiting and suggested nervously that perhaps I was getting a bit too old for the ‘Enid Blyton Annual’ and perhaps he should buy me something else for Christmas. I agreed but felt a little sad.

Anyway, as you know the ‘Queen’ film is set in the period following the death of Diana which, by coincidence, Alan describes in his diaries. He is a big fan of HMQ. He was shocked that she had to go ‘mournabout’ and expresses surprise that she wasn’t forced to do a ‘Diana phone in’ as well.

Like Julie Birchill - I’m a Diana sympathiser, but I must agree with Alan that Diana could act and HMQ couldn’t - so poor old Liz did look a tad insincere throughout the whole tragedy.

The book is wonderful and often very funny. He looks forward to the day when the names of old people in homes - Frank, Arthur, Agnes etc. change to Wayne, Melanie and Darren. In one of his plays a bloke was welcomed to the old folks home with the words ‘Welcome - you’re our first Kevin’.

Definitely a ‘National Treasure’ - I’m looking forward to ‘The History Boys’ next week.

KAZ
*Tights weren't invented until 1965

14 Comments:

Blogger Rog said...

Can't help thinking of macaroons now.

(PS Nobody is ever too old for the Enid Blyton Annual!)

6:49 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Murph: Do you like the 'Macaroon Five'? They sound like an Enid Blyton book.

12:54 pm  
Blogger Geoff said...

I'm on page 60 - Now Voyager.

I'm glad Alan's not as shy as his parents were.

1:28 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

'Oh Geoff. Don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars.'

5:37 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I got on a train with him the other day. Well I got on the same train as him. I haven't got this book yet but I will, or I'll maybe wait for the audio book.

I saw the Queen film too. It was strangely enjoyable.

7:21 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Gary: Well at least something good came out of Leeds ...
apart from the road to Manchester. Ha ha!

There's a lot about Leeds in the book.

9:07 am  
Blogger Gareth said...

As a result of reading this, I went out and bought this book today, followed by my first trip to Balham. Which had nowt to do with your posting.

10:27 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Hope Alan will share his royalties.

Balham is foreign parts to me -except for 'Balham, Gateway to the South'.

I think that was Peter Sellers.

9:12 am  
Blogger Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

Hi Kaz

I've just created a new blog
http://ackworthborn.blogspot.com/

Have included you in my
odds bodkins links

If you could reciprocate that'd be nice
but of course it's not compulsory

9:32 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Good idea - make sure that you keep up with Hyde Daily Photo.
Thanks for the links.

5:42 pm  
Blogger Rog said...

I thougght it was "Beyond the Fridge", the great white kitchen God that is the provider of all nourishment and chilled wine for everyone in this house except me and Oz.

5:52 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

God Murph - You can't half whinge.

I'd just love a 'Baker's Complete Shite Canapé' with my ice cold glass of Sauvignon!

Cheers!

6:34 pm  
Blogger Glenda Young said...

Yes, I see what you mean, Kaz. But I swear to you my blog is my own and yours is yours. Or maybe you're me and I'm you? Who knows? Are we related?

8:47 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Hi Norah: Well I have a VERY good mate called Norah. She has flaming red hair too.

5:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home