Thursday, January 11, 2007

SIMPLY NOT!


Once upon a time (circa 1985), Jez rang to say he had free tickets to see the launch of a Manchester band who were about to hit the big time. The guitar player (Dave F) was a colleague of his. Jez taught Chemistry and Dave F taught Physics in the same Salford school.

So we all went along to support Dave F who turned out to be quite a good looking bloke …unlike Mick H - the lead singer - who was not quite so lovely.

‘Money’s too tight to Mention’ started climbing up the charts.

Dave F gave up the day job - the rest is history.

But not for Dave F.

The new manager sacked him from the band almost as soon as the record entered the charts. No one seemed to know why.
………………..

Fast forward a few years to when I was working in the city centre. The principal and I were looking through applications for the post of science teacher when I spotted Dave’s name. The principal had heard of Simply Red and had a good sense of humour*.

During the interview I asked Dave why there was a gap in his employment history between Salford and the supply teaching he was doing at the time. The boss and I waited for the answer in eager anticipation. We hoped for tales of stardom and celebrity scandal. But - Dave just said ‘I embarked on a business venture that wasn’t successful’. What a cop out!

He didn’t get the job.

He’s on the video of ‘Money’s too tight to Mention’ so I still see him sometimes in those Channel 5 programmes like ‘Best 100 hits by a ginger bloke’.

Dave F’s the one in the black leather jacket - see it here - you don’t need to stay for long.

I was reminded of this story because I heard it on the radio as I was driving along this morning.

I only hope Dave F gets a few royalties.


* This was before the Act of parliament that banned laughter in educational establishments.

KAZ

7 Comments:

Blogger Geoff said...

I bought that song on 12 inch when it came out.

Except it was the Valentine Brothers' far superior original. Whatever happened to them?

Whatever happened to my 12 inch?

Don't answer that.

1:37 pm  
Blogger Rog said...

Nice pic of Red Ken and Red Mick pulling a couple of right clangers.

We all want to know why Dave F. got booted out? Was the Huckster jealous of his looks? Was he better at holding back the ears?

I'll get my secret dog contacts on the case and report back.

3:44 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Geoff: You are a man of infinite taste. White Manc trash cannot do real soul.
But at least it’s an improvement on Jamie Cullen doing ‘Wind Cries Mary’.
There should be a law!

Murph: It was said that Dave F didn’t move about much.
But I’m sure you will ‘sniff’ out the truth.

8:51 pm  
Blogger Heather said...

I used to love that song. What year was it?

11:07 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Heather: It was 1985 - long before you were born.

5:18 pm  
Blogger Heather said...

1985 remember it well, that was way after I was born. How time flies.

6:35 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Heather:
What a coincidence it was way after I was born as well.
And how it does!

11:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home