Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Great Bus Journeys of the World (no 1)

George has passed the thingy on to Bruce.

Thingy?

Jimmy has solved the problem. I found Jimmy over at Journeying, asked him the question and he left a comment on the end of the ‘Thingy on the bus’ post. It’s a camera mount which is provided by the people who make the bus. There isn’t a camera because the people who own the bus didn’t fix one.

Thanks Jimmy.

Congratulations to Geoff who was almost right. What a perceptive chap.

On the topic of buses - here are some photos of my journey into town taken over the last few months.


I love going through Rusholme (the curry mile).


Here you can get the chop (red notice) whilst waiting for your taxi or booking a holiday.


This is the famous Canal Street in ‘the village’ . It would have been thronged with revellers at the weekend for the ‘Sparkle’ festival.
I don’t know why those trees are ‘wrapped’ unless Christo has visited Manchester I passed there yesterday and they have all been chopped down for yet another building project.
The arrow marks the college where I worked from 1982 to 1996. After this the lunatics took over the asylum. My laboratory on the top floor was turned into a penthouse so presumably someone removed that green stain on the ceiling made by an overenthusiastic student.

Why would they hang an advert for Peter Kay’s show over the Samaritan’s building?

I see Eric and Jimi are in town. Both are looking well.


And here’s the terminus, otherwise known as the Cheapskates’ Pleasuredome. Until 5 years ago it was the famous Lewis’s department store where I used to come with my mum to see Father Christmas.
Now we have Primark - so it’s Christmas every day - but it can’t be right can it?

KAZ

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Rog said...

I wanted to see "Dr Butt - entrance at rear".

10:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does the summer sale apply to Dr Butt- Perhaps he was at a loose end and needed to drum up more trade...

1:03 pm  
Blogger Geoff said...

Dr Butt seems arse about face to me.

Shame MJ's on her hols.

1:16 pm  
Blogger Dave G said...

Thanks for the pics Kaz havn't been to the city center for about three years. Don't have to go for another three years now.

1:44 pm  
Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

At the risk of stating the obvious, Dr. Butt missed his true medical calling.

4:43 pm  
Blogger Arabella said...

The pub next to The Samaritans looks familiar - d'you know the name.
I recollect going to The Cheshire Cheese a few times with 80s boyfriend. I suppose that's been flattened?

5:20 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Murph:
Looks like I'll have to get that spray can out again.

Fidel:
'Loose end' - very good.

Geoff:
Do you think Dr Butt is a pseudonym for Zidane?
He could be hiding out in Rusholme.

How dare she go away for a whole month?

Dave:
You should go as it's improved so much recently. The area down by the big wheel is good as long as you avoid Saturday.
Oops - easy for me to say.

[Cherry] ride:
I did a post about proctology last October when I first heard the word.

5:22 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Arabella:
It's called 'The Grand Central' though I'm sure it used to be something else. It's a bit of a heavy rock pub.
On the right is the Cornerhouse bar attached to Manchester's arty cinema.
Can't think of a Cheshire Cheese - it's frightening how quickly you forget them once they go.

5:39 pm  
Blogger Gareth said...

After my weekend I can now say I've been there.

5:56 pm  
Blogger Anxious said...

I've been in there I think - is it the one with a TK Maxx in the basement?

6:55 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Gareth:
Did you see my ex college? You could have fixed a blue plaque on the wall.

Anx:
That's the one - except that they moved TK Maxx to a posh new shop in Market street only a few weeks ago.
You do get around don't you?

10:23 pm  
Blogger Roses said...

I did think of asking Jimmy, but my good intentions disappeared under a huge pile of things to do.

I love your city! Any place that has a cathedral to cheap retail therapy has got to be a good place.

8:11 am  
Blogger Anxious said...

I do indeed
And Rusholme, I believe, is where Big went to school (MGS)

8:20 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Roses:
These crucial mysteries must be solved. Jimmy's lucky not to have to drive in Manchester where it's a bus war every day.

Anx:
MGS is just down the road in Fallowfield.

Pstt - don't tell anyone because it's against my principles - but , after the 'green arrow' college folded in 1996, I taught at MGS for a while.
They pay very well and I needed the money.

9:08 am  
Blogger Katy Swift said...

Great photos of Manchester. The architecture is really cool. Certainly he most impressive I've seen. V. industrial.

9:28 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Hi Hotter:
Thanks - I'm afraid familiarity sometimes breeds contempt - as they say - but I'll have to look at it with a fresh eye.
The Tram gives the best viewpoint.

2:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home