Thursday, July 12, 2007

INTREPID

‘As I walked out one Midsummer Morning’ …. well actually it was July 1st and, unlike Laurie Lee, I had Terravision and Ryanair to help.
But I did have my little rucksack on my back and I was heading for Spain all by myself.

That isn’t Kev in the photo . He stayed at home with his guitar.

I knew my journey via Liverpool would take most of the day - but I hadn't reckoned with:
i) the closing of Liverpool airport overnight - and
ii) my train from Girona to Figueras passing through lightning which struck down the overhead cables.


So it was quite an adventure!

This time I enjoyed being with the Scousers.
I misjudged Joan. In spite of her shocking pink trousers, white fringed jacket, gold plastic handbag, peroxide hair and wrinkly face, she turned out to be intelligent and interesting.



'John Lennon’ had responded to the bomb scare by closing for the night and cancelling all flights. Poor Joan had been sitting around since 3am. It was now mid afternoon and good old Ryan was sending her to a different destination.

Then there was gorgeous forty something Tracey who explained how to get from Girona airport to the railway station. Tracey and Ian often popped over to Girona for an overnight stay! This time I think she’d come to escape the first day of the smoking ban. We discussed a nanny state that will probably soon ban drinking in pubs as well. At best they might use a swipe card system based on your allocated daily units.

I finally boarded the local train to Figueras. When the lightning struck I hadn’t a clue what was going on as all announcements were in Catalan. Eventually Che Guevera at the back of the carriage took pity on me and explained - he used the word ‘patience’. Even after we got moving again, everything was dark and not even the locals had a clue where we were.

We finally reached Figueras. The last bus had gone and the taxi cost 45euros - about the same as the rest of the trip put together.

Midnight saw me drinking a warm G&T by candlelight as I couldn’t switch the electricity on.

10 lovely days passed uneventfully without a drop of rain . Don’t hate me too much … it was a bit cloudy on Tuesday afternoon.

Uneventful return journey - home at 2.30 this morning.

KAZ

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger Dave G said...

It's allright for some innit?

11:13 am  
Blogger Rog said...

You've put the alone back into Catalonia!

Welcome back ... it's been quiet rond here!

12:24 pm  
Blogger Geoff said...

Last night I dreamt my (smoking) friend was smoking in the pub in my company. Other people were having furtive drags, too. I couldn't breathe for all the smoke.

Welcome back, Kaz. We've missed you (10 days is a long time in the blogging world).

1:26 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Dave:
But - Dave - you have your youth (ahem).
Your turn will come.

Murph:
Very good - now I'll put the u back in round!

Geoff:
Do you ever dream about your dream blog?

Yes - Blogging's a bit like politics in that respect. Well you know what I mean.

2:25 pm  
Blogger Arabella said...

Welcome back. Is the monkey in quarantine?

3:05 pm  
Blogger Betty said...

That journey makes our nightmare trip back from Berlin sound quite endurable by comparison.

Welcome back. When you said that you wouldn't be around for ten days I was a bit worried that you'd gone into hospital or something!

3:54 pm  
Blogger stitchwort said...

"shocking pink trousers...gold plastic handbag...wrinkly face"
so what was your travelling outfit?
Good to have you back - it's been quiet.

4:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back Kaz.

Glad you had good weather even if we had rain (even in Loverly London!).

6:12 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Arabella:
Quarantine? Well he wasn't in Catalunya with me.

OO Betty:
I'd top meself before I'd go in Hospital.
I admit I wasn't very specific - I felt like a bit of a saddo going off on my own.

Stitch:
Hmmm - Good question. White trainers, black jeans, grey T shirt, black jacket.
How's that for jolly holiday wear?
Mind you - Joan's husband was a real hunk - American with lots of social skills.

NiC:
It has been so wet in Manchester today that I think I've made up for it.
Still (clenches teeth) it's nice to be home.

6:51 pm  
Blogger Geoff said...

No, but I do dream about other bloggers.

Not in THAT way, I hasten to add.

7:40 pm  
Blogger Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

welcome back to the rain.

10:46 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Geoff:
What's wrong with THAT way? I have great trouble remembering my dreams .... along with everything else actually.

Gerald:
Thanks.
It's not even 'nice' rain is it? You know - the refreshing sort.

11:21 am  
Blogger Midnight said...

I heard Liverpool airport was closed due to a "suspicious car".

Apparently it had tax, insurance and the radio was still in it.

4:18 pm  
Blogger I, Like The View said...

you had a good time then! hope so! nice to have you back!

(is that enough exclamation marks)(I've taken to the bottle in your absence, the vodka bottle)

I'm off to Cannes soon - any sartorial advice?

5:50 pm  
Blogger The Mistress said...

Welcome back although, as you know, I was away too and didn't know you were gone!

Let's drink to our return, shall we?

6:02 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Middy:
Very Good!
Scouser joke are quite PC as long as they're about Koppites and not Evertonians.

View:
Vodka eh? Neat! I hope.
Cannes - well it has to be romper suits - hot pants with a bib.
Hope you've got the legs for it ... and the bladder.

mj:
Yay you're back - rushes to fridge and pours a large one - Cheers babe!

8:22 pm  
Blogger Lubin said...

Welcome home. I've missed you! Your story about the travel delays reminded me of a Victoria Wood thing in an airport. Except yours was funnier.

10:07 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Thanks Lubin! But I don't think I'll try stand up.

Sorry you aren't coming to Manchester - good luck with the move.

11:56 am  
Blogger tony said...

As I went out......... one of my favorite books! Sound a grand time!
i was at The Bridgewater Last Night...........the water feature outside seems to be getting bigger........you must have missed the english weather?

1:31 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Tony:
My primary school teacher insisted that Britain's temperate climate was the best in the world.
It even said it in the Geography book.

3:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home