Saturday, March 18, 2006

Alone

In the immortal words of Eric Carmen, I like to be ‘All By Myself’. Even though he didn’t.

When I first stopped work, I thought I’d miss the students and colleagues so I made a big effort to be sociable. Remember Barbara (friend who doesn’t work). Actually she’s broken her ankle and I popped round with some raspberries, double cream and chocolate.

It’s the making of arrangements that’s such a pain. Eileen won’t have a mobile and Barbara keeps changing her mind.

On Friday it stopped raining so I went for a walk. I watched a large flock of redwings and fieldfares on their way north for summer. They land in a tree. Then a few move on. The rest look as though they’re not bothered but eventually join them. Peer pressure.

Now Barbara would have carried on walking and Eileen would have carried on talking.
Kev’s OK but he’s at work and would probably have insisted that they were green striped American fieldfares and must be reported to the RSPB immediately. Later (in addition to the usual suspects) I saw a siskin, a brambling and both types of thrush.

On the way back I crossed the stream, hoping to see a dipper and there, just as the sun came out, was a stunning pair of goosanders. I watched them dive and swim about for ages …just the three of us.

Is it normal to be a loner? Is it because I’m an only child?

Do you think I’ll grow up to be a serial killer?
KAZ

8 Comments:

Blogger Betty said...

Sounds like there are plenty of interesting birds compared to the ones you'd see on walks around here. I remember going into one grotty local wood and seeing a sparrowhawk chasing a rat. That's about as exotic as it gets in Bexleyheath.

I enjoy time spent by myself, but that might be down to being an only child, a loner and a serial killer.

3:04 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Betty
Sounds like you , me and Hannibal Lechter have lots in common.

6:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SOmetimes it's nice to share these walks with other folk but sometimes it's best to share afterwards like you've done.

In my opinion, anway. :)

3:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not an only child, or a serial killer, but I do tend to prefer my own company... (you don't get any silly answers if you talk to yourself, after all :))

4:25 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

NiC
Put like that - it's a good compromise.
It would be awful not to have a choice or not to have someone to share with afterwards.

BW ...and I'm doing it more and more ...talking to myself that is. The other day I said 'Shall we go upstairs?' WE???

5:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Witchy...actually, I often get the silliest answers when I talk to myself!

8:58 am  
Blogger coolbuddha said...

I remember seeing my first and only brambling. Even you you do become a serial killer, it's nice to have a hobby as well.

7:44 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Buddha
Sorry to be a clever dick ... but isn't a hobby a bird of prey?

8:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home