Tuesday, August 15, 2006

What's in a NAME?


I really regret calling my blog ‘Youngest Pensioner’.

When it was my sixtieth birthday last year it was a bit of a joke. Now, it doesn’t seem so funny. Searching for
‘Pensioner’ in Google was just too depressing.

I tried searching again today and things are looking up. There’s the
79 year old new star of You Tube. A pensioner in Cricklewood has been given an ‘asbo’ and a Nanjing pensioner was arrested for running through the street naked carrying a ‘Brazil must win!’ banner during the world cup.

Google also finds me …but .. .I’m the only person who ever searches for ‘pensioner’ so this doesn’t cheer me up.

Secondly, my blog name begins with ‘Y’. Zebidee and Xerxes don’t blog - so I’m bottom of every list. You have to wade through several pages to find me in Britblogs.

My blogroll is organised according to latest post - so even Wyndham used to get to the top sometimes.

Aardvark would be good. But not Aardvark Pensioner.

According to statcounter, many people visit my blog when they search for youngest (first word) then something else, followed by sex (last word). The something in the middle has been ‘gay’ ‘ever’ ‘Chinese’ ‘kinky’… you get the picture.

It’s sex they want. Not pensioners. Who can blame them?

So there’s the new name ‘Aardvark Sex’

KAZ
P.S. Well maybe not, but that disgusting pink freaky picture has got to go. Give me a couple of days.

UPDATE: Hey - I've managed to do it already - so now I'm really the Joanna, Joanne, Johanna blog! She's 60 too.

18 Comments:

Blogger stitchwort said...

Talking with some friends, all older than me and all retired, they all dislike being called "pensioners" or "OAPs", but what else describes this group? One prefers "senior citizen", one likes "older woman".
Any ideas for a new name? Hell's Geriatrics? Zimmer Surfers? Wrinklestiltskins?

8:50 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Hi Stitchwort - I'm just glad that I have a pension really. If I'd been a lad I would have to wait 5 more years! I still wish I'd called the blog youngest sex addict or something!

11:22 pm  
Blogger Betty said...

Glad you've got rid of the picture of the baby (mind you, over two years in and I've yet to decide on an avatar picture, so I shouldn't be passing judgement really).

Don't know if the name comes up on the Google pensioner search but there is an excellent blog called Not Dead Yet - http://judithtaylor.blogspot.com/

10:27 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Glad you're glad. I hated it.
I had to google 'avatar' - good word. Perhaps you should preserve your air of mystery.
I know Judith's blog. Great title too. I'll probably be clapped out before I reach her age.

11:48 am  
Blogger Wyndham said...

Actually, I always thought it was quite good being at the end because people look at the top of the blogroll, and the end of it, and not much in between. I certainly did, but then I'm a well-known egomaniac.

1:49 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Wyndham:
Egomaniac yes!
Excellent blogger yes!
Pensioner No!
Hence your success!

3:41 pm  
Blogger Mandy said...

I thought you became a sexegenarian when you hit 60!

5:41 pm  
Blogger coolbuddha said...

Lurve the new pic. It's so you!

7:17 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Mandy: Perhaps that's a good idea for a new blog name - thankyou. I'll think on't.

Coolbuddha; Oh thanks - I trust your judgement totally.
Good bye pensioner - Hello Patsy!

9:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been accused on other parts of the internet of Stalking Senior Citizens.

4:44 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Gert - Do tell me more - Is it the wonderful one of whom we speak?
I remember (ages ago) reading his book - 'My first 40 years'.
I must get hold of episode 2!

6:04 pm  
Blogger DellaB said...

Hi Kaz, just popped over to see what you are up to. Great stuff, good reading, thankyou.

Have you tried searching for 'elderbloggers' ?

Ronni at 'Time Goes By' had a good discussion going a little while ago about terminology for senior citizens and elders etc.

How about Aged Aardvark?

11:44 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Dellab
In spite of your avatar(pic)I'm sure you're a stunner.
Aged Aaardvark would become AA - the club my ex husband belongs to (no I don't mean Automobile Association).
I quite like 'elders'- makes us sound wise and distinguished

10:13 am  
Blogger Judith said...

Hey! my friends seem to be gathering here. DellaB visited my blog for the first time, having found her way via Kaz, and there's Stitchwort, and Betty is promoting my blog too - thanks Betty. I will try to visit those of you I don't know yet.

What annoys me slightly is that if you leave a comment on someone else's blog, and then others take up the discussion, you have no way of knowing, so you can't go back and join in again. I suppose you just have to go back and visit everyone regularly, which I find hard to do. One has to do the chores and the shopping SOMEtime!

But on the matter in hand, I tend to refer to myself as an 'oldie', but I suppose it's a bit tongue-in-cheek, and I use it because I take the monthly magazine known as The Oldie, which is the most interestng and intelligent mag for oldies that I have come across.

12:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kaz, it is His Gorgeousness and I am guilty as charged. He is supposed to be working on an update to My First Forty Years but I suspect that when he gets the time it will have to be called "My Second Forty Years"

Judith, I live by the technological miracle that is http://co.mments.com/ which enables one to track ocmments on most blogs in an effortless way. I have just added you into my bloglines subscription which more or less substitutes for a blogroll these days...

4:08 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Gert - good tip! Thanks.

Judith: Hello again! Your fame is spreading! World domination is near.

4:41 pm  
Blogger The Quacks of Life said...

i liked that pink thing!!

10:24 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Oh Pete: I'd like a duck but you beat me to it!
You'll soon get used to the new sophisticated Kaz!

10:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home