Wednesday, June 10, 2009

NUTTERS and BOLTERS.


I've just finished 'The Bolter'. But if I’d been aware of the identity of the author the charity shop would be 50p worse off.

Frances Osborne is the Tory wife of George - the odious ex member of the Bullingdon club (no1 in the pic). He was a few years later than his mates Dave and Boris.

Fragrant Frances discovered that her great grandmother was Idina Sackville, the scandalous, five times married, gin-fuelled, orgy loving member of the ‘Happy Valley’ social set in 1930s Kenya - as portrayed in the film 'White Mischief'.

In spite of the stigma of her divorced mother, Idina managed to catch and marry (in1913) one of the richest men in Britain.
They were a promiscuous lot.

The 'cinq à sept’ referred to the early evening shagging session.

Why this time?

Because it was just after tea when the ladies unleashed their stays and peeled off layers of undergarments before changing for dinner. So it was practical rather than passionate.

Only married women were chosen so that surprise pregnancies could be kept in the family. Stately homes were designed with this debauchery in mind - they had a special door leading from the man's dressing room to the corridor.


I enjoyed this book for all the wrong reasons. The lives of the hedonistic rich who introduced the concept of binge drinking to the world and set the standard for bacchanalian orgies was undeniably fascinating.

Idina was a despicable person - but she did start the East Grinstead suffragette movement, build two plantations in Africa and pursue an intrepid daredevil lifestyle with no thought for personal safety.

She also had a sort of social conscience - which is more than can be said for her great grand daughter's husband.
KAZ

Labels:

25 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I think there's an 'of' missing in this piece.

I have no other comments to make about the misdeeds of the upper classes.

7:43 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

It's fixed!
What would I do without you Dave?
I changed that bit at the last minute when I decided to include the link.

7:52 am  
Blogger BEAST said...

There is not enough loosening of stays and peeling of undergarments these days in my opinion

8:33 am  
Blogger Istvanski said...

Why wasn't I born into the upper classes? I always miss out on all the fun.

9:18 am  
Blogger Rog said...

The Bullingdon No 2 looks like he's having a crafty 'cinq à sept’ with the bloke in front. They all look jojjy smug.

9:48 am  
Blogger garfer said...

Osbourne is a smug git, which isn't surprising given that his family money came from supplying wallpaper to the hoi.

He has less scary eyebrows than Darling though, and would thus be a preferable Chancellor to the present incumbent.

10:24 am  
Blogger Ms Scarlet said...

At 6.55pm I am watching the weather forecast, but I suppose their is a slot between this and Corrie..
Sx

12:04 pm  
Blogger Ms Scarlet said...

Tsk! sp* 'there'
Sx

12:05 pm  
Blogger Rog said...

Do you mind if I borrow your post title for Oz & Lily?

12:20 pm  
Blogger Geoff said...

Do they bolt their food, then?

1:23 pm  
Blogger savannah said...

bless his heart it isn't his fault money just came with his name, sugar! ;~D xoxox

2:54 pm  
Blogger The Mistress said...

I read a review of this book over the weekend.

Would you mind sending it on to me after you're finished?

Mistress MJ does not want to cut into her booze budget by purchasing her own copy.

Should I read it before or after Russell Brand's "My Booky Wook"?

3:49 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Beast:
I wonder if it would build up the tension and enhance the enjoyment or just act as a passion killer.

Istvanski:
Just shut up and get back down t'pit.

Rog:
Ah yes - the positioning of the elbow gives the game away.
Did you notice that the chap between nos 3 and 6 has had his head removed by an amateur photoshopper?

Garfer:
Osborne would not even be preferable to a small guinea pig.
I like eyebrows esp. Dennis Healey.
How about Susan Boyle for Chancellor?

Scarlet:
You could manage a 'sept à sept heures et demi'.
Just forget the foreplay.

Tsk!

4:16 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Rog:
Perfect - Lily should be renamed Idina and we know she doesn't like to sleep alone.

Geoff:
The Bullingdon club are notorious for it.
That's why he's known as 'Boris the Bolter'.

Savannah:
Oh I feel guilty now (makes a note to vote Tory in next election)
;~D ;~D ;~D

MJ:
You don't need to read it - I've told you the best bits.
Get on with 'Booky Wook' before Russell burns himself out.

4:17 pm  
Blogger tony said...

I wonder If Tory M.P.'s can still claim stays & undergarments on Expenses?

5:45 pm  
Blogger Steve said...

Typical upper classes. Why venture outside when you go dogging at home? I feel sorry for the butler and the maids who had to clean up afterwards.

6:18 pm  
Blogger Glenda Young said...

You could sell the book on eBay and donate the money to an anti-tory charity. I'm sure there must be one. Either that, or send the cash to me and I'll er, donate it wisely.

8:17 pm  
Blogger Zig said...

I can stay awake and relatively active between 5 and 7, perhaps this sort of thing could be re-introduced? Where do we apply?

10:45 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Tony:
I should think it's standard Tory party kit - apart from the women of course.

Steve:
Thanks for thinking of the butler and the maids.
No wonder the Labour party started and grew during this period.

Nora:
'An anti-tory charity' - that used to be the Labour party - but not any more......and you'd only give it to the Ken Barlow restoration fund.

Ziggi:
Excellent point - I'm at my best between 5 (anticipation of first drink) and 7 (effect of first drink).
We must start a campaign ... Bring back the cinq à sept!

11:29 am  
Blogger CyberPete said...

Fascinating!

I love her she's like a heroette of mine now.

6:48 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Pete:
I think you would love the book.
Idina was famous for her clothes and the way she wore them even in deepest Africa.
They were all couture from Paris!

9:58 pm  
Blogger Madame DeFarge said...

As always, it is an education reading your blog. Quite what sort of education may be difficult to determine, but undoubtedly an education.

3:05 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

C'est 'L'Éducation Sentimentale'.
Flaubert learned it all from me.

9:07 pm  
Blogger The Poet Laura-eate said...

I guess the uber-rich have always been able to do what they want regrardless of the moral strictures imposed on all the rest.

I do hope she died horribly though.

I'm charitable like that when I read about people like her.

10:35 am  
Blogger KAZ said...

Laura:
With her reckless lifestyle she should have been eaten by a lion, fallen out of a plane or been consumed by syphilis.
But it was cancer - just like everyone else.

4:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home